15 April, 2008

Downpatrick and Newcastle

Erin and Dwight are away to America for the week to be in friend's weddings.  John and I decided to take a day trip with Hayley and Paul on Monday.  We headed towards Downpatrick, the burial place of Saint Patrick and decided in Belfast to take a different route through Portaferry so we could take the ferry.  We ended up going to an aquarium and stayed for the 'hands-on' program, during which we got to pet sharks and sting rays and hold starfish, sea urchins, and clams.  We were by far the oldest ones in the group, unless you count the parents of all the wee children.
We took a very short ferry ride over to Downpatrick.  We saw the possible grave of St. Patrick and the Cathedral, which had a beautiful stained glass window.  We think the window portrayed images of 10 the the disciples.  We think they left out both Judas and Judas Iscariot and added Peter and Paul to make 12.  We went in search of a mountain with a statue of St. Patrick.  The mountain turned out to be a hill, but the view was amazing. 

Feeling spontaneous, Hayley decided she wanted to go to Newcastle and since she was driving, we all happily agreed to the adventure.  We walked along the beach and the boys taught Hayley to skip rocks.

We ended our day by going for coffee and ice cream at Maude's.  We sat outside and talked about what kind of bird we would like to be and watched the water.  It was a great day out.
This week, John and I are holding down the fort.  We had our afternoon clubs at Hillside, with the help of Paul, Louise, Brid, and Amy.  We taught the parable of the Good Samaritan.  I had the girls make cards of encouragement for someone as an example of how to show love to others.  We ended 10 minutes early because they girls were making 'kick me' signs and gluing them to each other's backs.  Obviously they listened really well today.

7 comments:

erin said...

hahaha! i love those girls! it sounds like you had a blast on monday...the pictures are awesome. i miss you guys! love.
ps. i met my niece last night, and she's just as amazing as we thought she'd be. oh man.

emily remington said...

your trip sounds so cool! glad you guys are having fun... until the kick me signs. love you!

Jamie said...

sounds like a fun day! Elizabeth, you have amazing patience to work with those girls every tuesday. I was amazed to watch you and Erin share stories and crafts with them. hope you're well!

Anonymous said...

The scenery is amazing. I love the pensive poses of John and Paul in the mirror or whatever that was. Don't worry about the "kick me" signs...they heard you!

Anonymous said...

It sounds like a really good time. Thanks for both of these updates.

Melissa said...

Hahaha! I just read this blog and laughed really hard at the kick me signs...I wonder if I could stick one on Erin's back tomorrow as she walks down the aisle!? How funny would that be :)

What bird would you be, Elizabeth? I think that I would be this cool duck that lives in asia that i saw on planet earth. I can't remember what the name of it is. I'll get back to you on that.

I bet John would be some mystical creature bird. Like, Big Bird.

Anonymous said...

But surely Peter was already a disciple? Or, are you talking about some other Peter I don't know about?

Maybe it's a neoclassical thing :)